What Is Child Support Used For?

What Can I Use Child Support Payments For?

Clients often ask whether there are any limitations to what a custodial parent can use child support payments for. The truth is, child support can be spent on nearly anything. There are no federal laws that limit the use of child support payments. Most state laws do not place limitations on use, either. Nevertheless, most non-custodial parents need some assurance that the payments they make are being used for their child’s needs. This article will provide some information on how child support payments should be used and how payments are often determined.

Child Support Payments Should be used for Basic Needs

Typically, it is expected that child support payments will be used to pay for food, clothing, and housing. Of course, the cost of raising children involves much more than that. For instance, there are usually school expenses, extracurricular activity fees, and toys. Older children, especially teenagers, can have costs associated with cars, like gas and auto insurance. Since child support payments are generally calculated to cover all of a child’s portion of household expenses, a custodial parent has the discretion to spend the additional money on extra items or expenses.

Child Support Based on Parents’ Income

In a very general sense, child support is meant to ensure that children of divorced or separated parents will continue to live as comfortably as they would have had their parents stayed together. States typically calculate child support payments by combining both parents’ income, and setting aside a percentage of the total amount for the needs of the child. The law will assume that the custodial parent pays for food, clothing and shelter directly, as that parent buys the groceries for the home and makes housing payments. Thus, the non-custodial parent contributes by making cash support payments to the custodial parent.

What is a Child Support Add-On?

In addition to the basics (food, clothing and shelter) and typical school and extracurricular expenses, children also need healthcare and medical insurance. Also, child care is a common expense, as the custodial parent often has to work outside the home. Therefore many courts add a percentage of these additional costs, after calculating basic child support, to this basic child support amount. Some states, though not all, also include extracurricular or educational costs in the child support add-on.

If you have questions regarding child support, or any other family law issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (251) 304-3200.

International Visitation Issues

International Child Visitation Issues

Though it might not be the most common situation, there are families who have parents living outside of the United States. These situations create a certain challenge with the issue of custody and visitation. Not only are there the practical issues involved in visitation between one country and another, but there are complex legal issues as well. This is especially true if one parent is seeking to take the child outside of the United States.

Determining Jurisdiction over the Legal Issues

The first issue that arises in these situations is which country has jurisdiction over the divorce, custody and litigation issues. When both parents live in Alabama, for instance, then there is no dispute that Alabama courts have jurisdiction over these legal matters. However, if the child lives outside the United States, the laws that govern visitation are more complicated. In those case, you need an attorney with international family law knowledge and experience; particularly, knowledge of the Hague Convention International Laws.

What is the Hague Convention?

The primary purpose of the Hague Convention is address international child abduction issues. The Convention is meant to preserve the child custody arrangement that existed before any alleged wrongful removal or retention occurred. The Convention applies only to children under the age of 16.

What is in the Best Interests of the Child?

Whenever the courts make decisions regarding child visitation matters, the concern is always what is in the best interests of the child. This is the primary concern above all else. Though the task may be more difficult when international visitation is involved, it is still critical that parents keep the lines of communication open so that the child can spend time with both parents. The worst case scenario is that a child becomes alienated from the parent who lives outside of the United States.

If you have questions regarding child visitation, or any other divorce issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (205) 401-1309.

Adults in Juvenile Court

Can an Adult Be Convicted and Sentenced in Juvenile Court?

In Alabama, as in most states, the juvenile court system has exclusive original jurisdiction over all legal proceedings involving a child who is alleged to be “delinquent, dependent or in need of supervision.” In Alabama, a child is considered to be anyone under the age of nineteen. An underage individual cannot be convicted and sentenced in an adult court. So, what happens when someone commits a crime while underage, but is not charged with that crime until after the juvenile court has lost jurisdiction?

The Conviction and Sentencing of an Adult in Juvenile Court

In M.A.M. v. Alabama, the defendant had been convicted and sentenced in juvenile court to one year in Youth Correction Services, for alleged sexual abuse of a 6-year-old. He was 16 years old at the time of the crime, but was 24 years old at the time of the conviction and sentencing. The defendant in M.A.M v. Alabama appealed the conviction, asserting that the juvenile court did not have jurisdiction over him.

The Alabama Court of Appeals Overturned the Conviction

The Court of Appeals overturned the conviction. Since the defendant was 16 when he allegedly sexually abused the victim, the juvenile court had exclusive jurisdiction over the proceedings. However, the law also states the juvenile court only retains that jurisdiction until the child turns 21. Because the defendant in that case was 24 at the time the charges were filed, the juvenile court had lost jurisdiction over him.

The Alabama Juvenile Justice Act Closed the Loophole

Alabama passed the Alabama Juvenile Justice Act in 2008, which repealed many of the statutes applied in M.A.M v. Alabama. The new law holds that while the juvenile court has no jurisdiction over acts committed before an offender was 18 but not filed until after the offender’s 21st birthday, there is an exception for offenses that have no statute of limitations. This exception would include sexual offenses involving victims under the age of 16. However, the decision in M.A.M v. Alabama involved acts that occurred in 2003, prior to the passage of the new act.

If you have questions regarding juvenile delinquency, or any other criminal defense issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (251) 304-3200.

Protecting Fathers’ Rights in Divorce

Protecting the Rights of Fathers in Divorce

Many clients believe that when it comes to divorce, fathers simply do not have the same rights as mothers. While it may be that mothers are often awarded custody and child support, the reality is that fathers have the exact same rights. Indeed, it is improper for the courts to consider gender when making decisions regarding support and custody. The primary concern should be what is in the best interests of the child.

Why fathers should be treated equally

It is just as important for a father to establish a bond between himself and his child. That paternal bond is also a crucial part of a child’s development. Therefore, in most cases it would be in the best interest of the child to grant custody to the father and mother jointly. At the very least, visitation should be awarded, depending on the circumstances.

What rights does a father specifically have?

During a divorce where the couple has children, a father’s rights include the right to custody, child support, visitation and various paternity rights. The issue of paternity is typically an issue only when the parents are unmarried, but are informally separating. If a father is granted primary custody, or sole custody, a mother may be ordered to pay child support to the father.

The need to resolve paternity issues

There are various ways to determine paternity, including DNA testing, an Acknowledgement of Paternity, a court order, and legitimation proceedings. The issue of paternity often arises in cases involving child custody disputes or support. Until the father is acknowledged under the law as such, they will not have the same rights as the mother. Nevertheless, the best interests of the child is always the primary concern.

If your rights as a father are being violated, or you have questions regarding any other custody or support issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (251) 304-3200.

Failure to Pay Child Support

What Happens if I Fail to Pay Child Support?

The purpose of child support is to cover not only a child’s necessities, but also school fees, entertainment, medical, and extracurricular activities. When child support is ordered by the court, the failure to pay court-ordered child support can leave you in contempt of court, which can carry significant civil and criminal penalties.

Being in contempt of court for failure to pay child support

If you owe child support and have not paid, the other parent can go to court and request a hearing. Failure to obey the court’s order to pay child support is called “contempt” of court. If you are found in contempt, you will be served with a document ordering you to appear in court for the hearing and explain why you have not paid the support you owe for your child. Your failure to appear at the hearing will often lead to the court issuing an arrest warrant. You could still face jail time, even if you show up for the hearing, if the judge is not convinced by your reason for not paying the child support you owe.

What can happen at a Contempt Hearing?

The court may order you to make future payments, or allow you to set up a payment plan for catching up on the unpaid support. The amount of your arrearage cannot be reduced, as a prior child support award cannot be modified retroactively. However, future payments may be decreased or modified. A judge can also order that your wages be withheld or a lien placed on your property in order to correct the arrearage.

What about jail time?

It is rare that a court will put a parent in jail for contempt of court. Judges realize that a parent who is in jail cannot earn money to make child support payments, so jail time is counterproductive.  Incarceration is typically ordered when an Income Withholding Order (IWO) or wage garnishment has not been successful, and the payor doesn’t have a plan to catch up or make the required payments.

If you have questions regarding child support or any other divorce issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (251) 304-3200.

Stepparents and Custody

Stepparent Rights in Custody Disputes

Most child custody disputes occur between divorcing parents. In some rare cases, there may be a custody dispute between grandparents. Although these types of disputes certainly represent the majority of custody cases, it is not entirely impossible to have a custody case involving stepparents. Indeed, blended families are more and more common these days. So, what rights do stepparents have in custody situations?

Parent or Third Party?

Basically, custody disputes involve either parents or third parties, which are non-parental individuals. The reality is, despite how close a stepparent may become to a child, from a legal standpoint, a stepparent is always classified as a non-parental third party. That means their legal rights are automatically less than those of either parent. But do stepparents have any rights?

Stepparents can still sue for custody

Third parties, such as grandparents, stepparents and other relatives, and even friends of the family, have a right to sue a custodial parent for partial custody or visitation. Typically, this occurs when a stepparent has lived with the child for a significant period of time and developed a very close relationship with the child – often taking on the role of co-parent. So, when a biological parent refuses to allow the stepparent to have any form of custody, the stepparent can sue for partial custody.

Which is more likely — custody or visitation?

Although the law allows stepparents to sue for custody of a minor child, judges typically reject these claims unless the biological parents are deemed unfit and would pose a danger to the child. More commonly, stepparents are granted visitation with the child. When a court determines that it is in the best interest of the minor child for the stepparent to remain in the child’s life, visitation will be awarded. Judges often weigh the degree of participation in the child’s life, including the length of time the stepparent cared for the child, the depth of emotional attachment that has been established, the degree of financial assistance provided by the stepparent, and the harm that the child would suffer if visitation were denied.

If you have questions regarding child custody, or any other divorce issues, contact attorney Brad J. Latta online, or by calling (205) 401-1309.

Special Needs Adoption

Adopting Children with Special Needs

There are currently tens of thousands of children with special needs in our country who are waiting to be adopted. Historically, these children have been seen as hard to place for adoption compared to children without special needs. But in reality, there are families out there who are willing and able to help these children. While extremely rewarding, adopting children with special needs takes commitment and perseverance. Here’s what you need to know if you are considering adopting a child with special needs.

Who is eligible to adopt a child with special needs?

The legal requirements for special needs adoption are no different from a traditional adoption. The decision needs to be made by the family after considering the capacity to parent a child with special needs, as it can be a challenge. A wise step would be to discuss your concerns with other experienced adoptive parents to make sure you are making a decision that is right for your family. Basically, factors that will be considered include the age and health of the parents, and will obviously include background checks to be sure the potential family poses no threat to the safety or well-being of the child.

Understanding what the child may have experienced in foster care

A common concern for potential adoptive parents is what life was like for the child while he or she was in the foster care system. It not uncommon for children with special needs to have been removed from their homes because of abuse or neglect and subsequently placed in foster care. There are resources available for families considering adoption that can shed some light on the common experiences of foster care children, as well as potential issues that adoptive families may face.

If you have questions regarding adoption, or any other family law matter, contact us online or by calling Brad J. Latta at (251) 304-3200.

The Basics of Child Support

The Basics of Child Support

The purpose of child support is to provide continued financial assistance from a non-custodial parent. Because that parent no longer has custody, his or her income is not automatically available to benefit the child on a daily basis. Child support awards are not typically made in cases of shared joint physical custody. Courts presume that the needs of the child are being met by both parents.

The legal duty to support

The legal duty to support a minor child belongs to both parents, regardless of whether the parent who has physical custody can provide sufficient care by themselves. The purpose of child support is twofold: to provide for the child’s basic needs and to allow the child to share in the standard of living of both parents. Contrary to what many people think, both fathers and mothers can be ordered to pay child support.

How prevalent is this issue?

According to most reports, 45-50% of all first marriages end in divorce. Forty percent of those marriages have minor children. Statistics also tend to show that 25% of all children are born to unmarried parents. The majority of children who live in single-parent homes have a right to child support. While child support can be completely voluntary, it many cases it is ordered by the court or through the initial divorce decree.

Collection of child support payments

Unfortunately, obtaining a child support award is not necessarily the end. There are some cases where an enforcement action must be taken in order to collect the child support payments. There are several methods available for custodial parents who need assistance collecting child support payments. Contact an experienced family law attorney if you need assistance.

If you have questions regarding child custody, or any other family law matter, contact us online or by calling Brad J. Latta at (251) 304-3200.

Summer Visitation

One of the most frequent questions we get this time of year is about summer visitation–how it works, who goes where, and for how long. The easiest answer is to check your divorce or custody papers, as summer visitation is usually spelled out there. But what happens when one or both parties wants to change what the papers say? As long as both parties are in agreement, they can change the details of summer visitation without going back to court. It’s best to get this agreement in writing, so both parties are on the same page. If one or both parties can’t agree on the changes, they will have to get the court involved to make the decision. Each case is fact-specific, so it’s always best to consult with a Family Law Attorney in Alabama if you have any questions about summer visitation.

Call us today for a free case evaluation or if you have any questions, (251) 304-3200.

Common Law Marriage

We get a lot of questions regarding common law marriage in Alabama. Many people are confused as to what it means, or if they have entered into one (intentionally or accidentally!). Alabama does recognize common law marriages, and the Attorney General’s website outlines the requirements:

“A valid common-law marriage exists in Alabama when there is capacity to enter into a marriage, present agreement of consent to be husband and wife, public recognition of the existence of the marriage, and consummation.”  Waller v. Waller, 567 So.2d 869 (Ala.Civ.App. 1990). See also, Hudson v. Hudson, 404 So.2d 82
(Ala.Civ.App. 1981), and Attorney General’s Opinion 1992-041.


As with a traditional marriage, if you meet the requirements for a common law marriage, you must follow the traditional divorce process to dissolve it. It is not usually difficult, but handled slightly differently.

If you have any questions about common law marriage in Alabama, give us a call today at (251) 304-3200 or visit our website, www.bradjlatta.com